Cultures around the world have very different ideas of what a casual dining experience should be. From the burger joints of the United States to the bistros of France, people experience food in very different ways. Some things that wouldn’t be on Mom and Pop’s menu here in America would be:
- Haggis – The Scottish delicacy of organs cooked inside a sheep’s stomach.
- Tuna eyeball – The Japanese separate the fish organ to serve on its own.
- Hákarl – Anthony Bourdain once called the Icelandic dish of rotting shark meat the most disgusting thing he’s ever eaten.
It doesn’t stop at just foods though, restaurant culture is much different around the world. It does, however, lead to some excellent tourism, as people travel just to visit these odd culinary landmarks.
Here are some of the weirdest restaurants around the world, that will provide some definitely unique experiences.
1. Ancient Ram Inn, England: The legendary inn has been listed as one of the most haunted places in the world for centuries, with daily paranormal activities being reported. Built on a pagan burial ground, it’s said to have been a place of child sacrifice before the inn was constructed in 1145.
2. Cabbages & Condoms, Thailand: An odd combination of vegetarianism and safe-sex, this Bangkok restaurant gives out condoms at the end of every meal, and even has their waitstaff wear them—on their heads that is. The restaurant’s slogan is “Our food is guaranteed not to cause pregnancy.”
3. Modern Toilet, Taiwan: Food is served to you out of a toilet, while you sit on a toilet, and drink out of a toilet-mug. Now the only question is what do their bathrooms look like?
4. Snow Village, Finland: An entire village built out of ice, you can dine in a frozen palace lit by dim LED lighting. Make sure you get there in the right season. Otherwise, you may just find a puddle.
5. Dinner In The Sky: Any location in the world is more beautiful from 150 in the air, and that’s what this novelty service is betting on. Available in more than 15 countries, if you’re willing to fork out $40,000 you can have a gourmet dinner above your favorite city.
6. Heart Attack Grill, Nevada: The infamous restaurant whose spokesperson died in 2011 at the young age of 29, the Heart Attack Grill is known for its intentionally high-caloric meals. They’re famous policy of “350+ eat free” has caused quite a controversy over the years as they promote obesity and overeating.
7. Funny Sex, Taiwan: If you’ve ever wanted to dine with a blow-up doll and drink out of a breast-mug, this restaurant is the one for you. They’ve assembled an entire menu of genitalia-shaped foods and handy charts that compare average sizes around the world.
8. Robot Restaurant, Japan: A comic-book come to life, this restaurant features robot fights, robot theater, half-naked waitresses and more neon lights and lasers than your cornea can handle.
9. Disaster Cafe, Spain: Unfortunately, the Disaster Cafe closed in 2015. Before its demise, it had tourists shaking to get inside. The entire restaurant would rumble during dinner at random intervals, allegedly simulating a 7.8 earthquake.
10. Mars 2112, New York: A staple of Times Square in New York City, Mars 2112 has been serving out-of-this-world meals for almost twenty years. As we get closer to travel to commercial space travel, it might have to re-think its interior.